Sunday, February 8, 2015

Starting to really get into my instrument

Every week up until now, I've been working on just memorizing frets and notes to play songs that I know, which I will continue to do, but this was the first week that I've really started to get into things.  The guitar is an intricate instrument, with a lot of things to learn and tricks to master, and I've begun to raise interest in the music theory side of things.  I started by mapping out the notes up the 6 strings, all 21 frets, which has me starting to think in the grand scheme of things.  I'm also planning on color coding the 7 different notes, so I can visually see the different octaves that span the instrument.  In the short time I've been working on it, I'm already starting to see patterns with notes, which I will continue to work on visualizing.  I've also been spending my time working on the various keys that can be played in music, and I'm seeing patterns with them too as well.  On top of the guitar map, I've began writing down the various keys, and playing their corresponding scales.  Almost everyone I've met tells me how horrible and confusing music theory is, and I can see where they're coming from, however I'm finding it quite interesting.  I'm going to continue on my venture into music theory, as well as continue playing the songs I love, and the ending of the mock trial has freed up a lot more time for me to continue playing again.  The more and more I'm learning about my instrument, the more and more my interest grows, and I'm really continuing to have a lot of fun with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment